Recipe Created By: Jackie Guzman
A light and fluffy honey lemon meringue pie that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Simple ingredients such as sugar, flour, and cornstarch are blended together to create a decadent dessert that will impress any pie lover! Kiva's Raw Manuka Honey is the star ingredient for the lemon pie's finishing touch: the honey meringue.
For the Pie crust:
- 190g flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 142g butter (10 tbsp), cold
- 55g (4.5 tbsp) water
1. Mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Dice your cold butter into teaspoon-sized pieces and add to the dry mixture. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, blend or work the butter into the flour mixture, until butter is pea-sized.
2. Drizzle the water into the bowl and knead the dough until it comes together. You may have to add extra water, but it is ok if the dough looks a bit crumbly.
3.Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but preferably a few hours.
4. When you are ready to roll out the dough, preheat your oven to 325°F. Roll out the dough to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Shape the dough, crimp the crust, and blind bake the crust for about 20 minutes. To blind bake, place parchment paper on top of the crust, then baking weights, such as dry beans or rice.
5. After baking for 20 minutes, remove the parchment and baking weights. With a fork, poke some holes into the bottom of the crust, and bake again for another 10 minutes, or until crust appears fully baked, but not golden brown.
* Note: Instead you can use a graham cracker crust or a pre-made pie crust that you can bake at home.Ingredients:
For the Lemon filling:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
1.Pre-heat oven to 350°f.
2. In a medium-sized pot, whisk together the water, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk constantly and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Once thickened, take the mixture off heat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the lemon mixture into the egg yolks - this will heat up the eggs without scrambling them. Then pour everything back into the pot and cook on the stove again over medium/low heat for one minute, again whisking constantly. Once off the heat, whisk in the butter until fully incorporated.
4. Pour the lemon mixture into your par-baked pie crust. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until filling appears fully set. Place pie in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight.Ingredients:
For the Honey meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- 1/3 white sugar
- 1/4 cup Kiva Manuka Honey
1.Once the pie has finished chilling, or once you’re ready to serve the pie, get started on the honey meringue.
2. Cook the egg whites and sugar together in the bowl of a double boiler. Once there are no longer any sugar granules, or mixture has reached 160°F, place mixture in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed, slowly adding in the Manuka honey. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
3. Spread meringue on top of the lemon pie and then toast with a kitchen torch. Pie is best served the day you make the meringue, but it lasts about 3 days before the meringue starts to separate.